As Finovate goes increasingly global, so does our coverage of financial technology. Finovate Global: Fintech News from Around the World is our weekly look at fintech innovation in developing economies in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Central and Eastern Europe.
Central and Eastern Europe
- Poland’s Horum Bank, a mobile bank based on blockchain technology, prepares for launch, most likely in the Baltics.
- VTB Bank in Armenia goes live mobile banking and enhances internet banking services.
- Emerging Europe examines the fintech industry in Romania “and beyond.”
Middle East and Northern Africa
- Turkey’s İşbank opens API portal with 14 APIs including payments plans, credit scores, and customer accounts.
- UAE’s Trriple announces upgrades to its mobile wallet app, making top-ups easier and adding a loyalty program.
- Growth Business UK features Dubai-based crowdfunding platform, Eurecca.
Central and South Asia
- Mastercard launches its Simplify Commerce platform in Sri Lanka.
- Forbes looks at how the election of Imran Khan as Pakistan’s new prime minister could impact the country’s fintech industry.
- Paysense, a fintech based in Mumbai, India, raised $18 million in funding in a round led by PayU.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Worldline and Brazilian fintech EBANX produce new payment method for Brazilian users of Spotify.
- Bradesco and Banco do Brasil launch urban mobility payment company, Veloe.
- International Tax Review looks at the tax policy and the crowdfunding industry in Mexico.
- Experian leads $28 million investment in C88 Financial Technologies Group as part of effort to boost financial inclusion in Southeast Asia.
- U.K.-based Online Blockchain introduces ManilaCoin, a cryptocurrency designed to promote financial inclusion in the Philippines.
- IBM lands managed services deal with Thailand’s Krungsri (Bank of Ayudhya) valued at $140 million.
- Kenyan fintech Tulaa raises $627k in seed funding. The Nairobi-based company helps small farmers access credit and markets.
- Alpha Code, an accelerator and incubator headquartered in South Africa, begins accepting applications for its AlphaCode Incubate Programme.
- Nigeria’s National Identity Management Commission encourages private and public sector IT leaders to focus on digital inclusion.