As Finovate goes increasingly global, so does our coverage of financial technology. Finovate Global: Fintech News from Around the World is our weekly look at fintech innovation in developing economies in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Central and Eastern Europe.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Brazil’s Nubank announces debit options for its digital savings account.
- Infocorp spinoff Bankingly raises $5.25 million in Series A funding in round led by Elevar Equity.
- Vocalink to modernize Peru’s electronic payments infrastructure courtesy of new deal with the company’s automated clearinghouse, Cámara de Compensación Electrónica (CCE).
- UNPay expands QR code payments.
- Indonesian lending and payments firm, Pohon Dana, picks up investment from Mayapada Group.
- PaySend launches transfers to bank accounts and Napas cards in Vietnam.
- Fenergo wins Fintech Exporter of the Year award from Asia Matters.
- Juvo expands across Asia with regional headquarters in Singapore.
- Experian purchases South African credit information and analytics firm Compuscan for $263 million.
- Ecobank partners with MFS Africa to offer cross-platform digital payments to customers.
- Emergent Technology acquires Ghana-based Interpay Africa.
Central and Eastern Europe
- Sberbank offers clients new strategies for investment life insurance.
- Finastra opens new offices in Romania.
- Backbase powers omni-channel digital services for Poland’s BGŻ BNP Paribas bank.
- International Bank of Azerbaijan (IBA) to deploy technology from FICO to fight money laundering.
Middle East and Northern Africa
- UAE and Saudi Arabia launch blockchain-powered, cross-border payments proof of concept.
- Temenos announces partnership with Tunisia’s Banque de l’Habitat.
- Token brings open banking to MENA region.
Central and South Asia
- James Finance, Ocrolus, Hydrogen, and iProov shortlisted for India FinTech Awards 2018.
- Currencies Direct taps Ripple’s xCurrent for real-time remittances to India.
- Fintech News Singapore features BankBazaar in its round up of 10 Hot Fintech Startups from India to Watch Closely.