As Finovate goes increasingly global, so does our coverage of financial technology. Finovate Global: Fintech News from Around the World is our weekly look at fintech innovation in developing economies in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Central and Eastern Europe.
- Singapore-based financial supermarket GoBear scoops up $80 million in new funding.
- Wipro builds prototype for central bank digital currency project in Thailand.
- Chinese fintech Pintec Technology opens international headquarters in Singapore.
- Chipper Cash, an African cross-border payment startup, raiseded $2.4 million in funding – including a contribution from football Hall of Famer Joe Montana’s Liquid 2 Ventures.
- Central Bank of Kenya and the Monetary Authority of Singapore to launch the first Afro-Asia Fintech Festival.
- Remoney wins Innovation in Lending award at the Nigerian Fintech Awards.
Central and Eastern Europe
- Twisto closes $15.7 million capital raise.
- Estonia tightens regulations on granting virtual currency licenses.
- Partnership between Wirecard and Orange Money to bring digital payment services to Eastern Europe.
Middle East and Northern Africa
- Fenergo supports Bahrain’s blockchain-based KYC.
- ACI extends partnership with Vocalink into Saudi Arabia to facilitate the adoption of real-time payments through ACI’s UP Real-Time Payments solution.
- Tunisian bank selects Temenos to drive digital transformation and future growth.
Central and Southern Asia
- New Indian Express features digital piggy bank, Wizely.
- Zawya looks at the potential for Islamic banking and finance in Uzbekistan.
- YourStory profiles year-old fintech startup, Nira.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Mastercard partners with Edenred and northern Mexico state of Sonora to trial biometric cards.
- Brazilian fintech Nubank goes live in Mexico.
- Bolivia launches interoperable payment solution using QR codes.