Finovate alums raised more than $472 million in the fourth quarter of 2020. This sum brings the total raised by alums this year to $3.9 billion. Given the relatively sharp fall-off in Q4 funding this year, the fact that 2020’s investment total not only rivals that of last year, but also approximates our all-time, alumni investment high mark from 2018, is noteworthy.
Previous Annual Comparisons
Q4 of 2020 saw a retreat from the strong investment trends that have characterized the final quarter of the year since 2016. This year’s fourth quarter funding total was more reminiscent of the levels reached in Q4 2015, when 28 alums brought in more than $302 million in funding.
Previous Quarterly Comparisons
- Q4 2019: More than $876 million raised by 21 alums
- Q4 2018: More than $800 million raised by 19 alums
- Q4 2017: More than $730 million raised by 23 alums
- Q4 2016: More than $700 million raised by 26 alums
The top equity investment of the quarter was the $103 million raised by Tink in December, followed by the $60 million raised by both Microblink and OurCrowd. Interestingly, our top three investments were in alums with significant, non-U.S. business.
Top Quarterly Equity Investments
- Tink: $103 million
- Microblink: $60 million
- OurCrowd: $60 million
- DriveWealth: $56.7 million
- eToro: $50 million
- M1 Finance: $45 million
- Five Degrees: $27 million
- Bluefin: $25 million
- NetGuardians: $19 million
- Wise: $12 million
Here is our detailed alum funding report for Q4 2020.
October 2020: More than $148 million raised by seven alums
- Bluefin: $25 million – post
- DriveWealth: $56.7 million – post
- Icon Solutions: undisclosed – post
- M1 Finance: $45 million – post
- Marqeta: undisclosed – news
- StreetShares: $10 million – post
- Wise: $12 million – post
November 2020: More than $60 million raised by three alums
December 2020: More than $264 million raised by seven alums
- eToro: $50 million – news
- Exate: $3 million – news
- Five Degrees: $27 million – news
- Microblink: $60 million – post
- NetGuardians: $19 million – post
- ReceiptHero: $2.5 million – post
- Tink: $103 million – post
If you are a Finovate alum that raised money in the fourth quarter of 2020, and do not see your company listed, please drop us a note at email@example.com. We would love to share the good news! Funding received prior to becoming an alum not included.