The fintech space is filled with new players bringing to market new innovations and solutions to old business and consumer problems, as well as traditional businesses looking to develop in-house innovation teams and partner with start-ups. But what they both have in common is a desire to meet and exceed changing customer demands, make financial services more accessible and user-friendly, and keep up with the fast-paced technological advances. During FinovateFall, we sat down with the experts on the ground to ask them about what’s driving the fintech ecosystem where they work.
Finovate conferences showcase cutting-edge banking and financial technology through a unique blend of short-form demos and key insights from thought-leaders.
See the highlights from FinovateFall 2018, which took place September 24 through 26 in New York:
During Finovate Fall, four stages provided the chance for more focused discussions around the banking and payments, digital lending and wealth management. Here, on the Emerging Technologies stage, a panel discusses the role of partnerships in generating value. Featuring:
- George Anderson – CEO & Founder, Ninth Wave
- Nathalie Dore – Chief Digital and Acceleration Officer, BNP Paribas Cardif
- Matt Ribbens – SVP Enterprise Digital Strategy, BB&T
- Dave Mooney – President and CEO, Alliant Credit Union
- Travis Skelly – Senior Vice President, Venture Investing, Citi Ventures
- Michael Roberts – Chief Marketing & Digital Strategy Officer, Bank of America Merchant Services
We understand completely. As the nights start to get longer and the coolness of autumn takes hold, that “curl up by the fire and watch demo videos from FinovateFall” feeling becomes almost irresistible.
That makes us all the more thrilled to announce that every minute of every demo from FinovateFall is now available for viewing – free of charge – in the Finovate Video Archives. Rewatch your favorite moments or check out some of the demos you might have missed!
By way of a sampler, here are the demo videos of the five companies that won Best of Show (as voted by the audience).
During Finovate Fall 2018, leading fintech research analysts took to the stage for 7 minutes each to present key opportunities for banks and other financial services providers. Featuring:
Jacob Jegher – Senior Vice President, Banking and Head of Strategy, Javelin Strategy & Research
Alyson Clarke – Principal Analyst, Forrester
Daniel Latimore – Senior Vice President, Banking Group, Celent
Thad Peterson – Senior Analyst, Aite Group
FinovateFall may have ended yesterday, but we’re not ready for the fun (or the fintech!) to stop. New this year, we’ve implemented an exclusive, post-event day of summit sessions focusing on the two hottest topics in fintech– AI and the blockchain.
If you’re interested in attending, you can register online or stop by the front desk this morning to sign up. Registration (located on the 5th floor of the Marriott Marquis Times Square) opens at 8 am and the first session begins just before 9 am.
For those who are already on the list, check out the agenda on our website or get a quick glance of what to expect below:
- 8:00 to 8:50 Registration, Breakfast, and Networking
- 9:00 to 10:30 Keynotes, Panels, Case Studies
- 10:30 to 11:10 Blockchain Morning Networking Break
- 10:30 to 11:00 AI Morning Networking Break
- 11:00 to 12:30 AI Case studies, Debates, and Panels
- 11:10 to 12:30 Blockchain Case studies, Debates, and Panels
- 12:30 to 1:30 Lunch
- 1:30 to 3:00 Keynotes, Debates, and Showcases
- 3:00 Closing remarks
We’re looking forward to a day packed full of content! Free coat check is available on the 5th floor of the Marriott Marquis.
If you have any questions about the event, stop by the registration desk or see our contact page for email addresses and phone numbers of our event staff.
The past two days were all about the demos. Today at FinovateFall, however, we’re shifting our focus to examine some of the trends, themes, ideas, and regulations that are prompting some of that innovation.
Doors open once again at 8am this morning, and we’ll have breakfast and networking until 9am, when the general session begins. Free coat check is available on the south side of registration.
Visit our website for a full, interactive agenda, or check out a quick preview below:
8:00 to 8:55 Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:55 Opening Remarks
9:00 to 9:40 Analyst All Stars
- Julie Muhn – Senior Research Analyst, Finovate
- Jacob Jegher – Senior Vice President, Banking and Head of Strategy, Javelin Strategy & Research
- Alyson Clarke – Principal Analyst, Forrester
- Daniel Latimore – Senior Vice President, Banking Group, Celent
- Thad Peterson – Senior Analyst, Aite Group
9:40 to 10:30 Kick Off Keynote: Calling the Shots in the Crypto World
- Alex Tapscott – Author, Advisor, Blockchain & Cryptocurrency, Co-Author Blockchain Revolution
10:30 to 10:45 Connected Experiences and The Third Era of Commerce
- Kurt Bilafer – General Manager, Americas, Amazon Pay
10:45 to 11:15 Refreshments and Networking Break
11:15 to 11:30 Short & Sharp Dueling Debate: The Future of Digital Financial Services?
- Jeremy Balkin – Head of Innovation, HSBC
- Julia C. Carreon – Managing Director of Digital and Fiduciary Operations, Wells Fargo
- Nicolas Kopp – US CEO, N26
11:30 to 11:45 Short & Sharp Dueling Debate: The Future of Digital Financial Services? Digital vs Physical Payment Methods
- Sonia Wedrychowicz – Managing Director, Head of Technology Transformation Consumer and Community Bank, JPMorgan Chase
- Vaduvur Bharghavan – CEO, Ondot Systems
- Seth Harvey – President, Travelex
11:45 to 12:00 Quick & Bold Panel Discussion: Digital Transformation
- Jo Ann Barefoot – CEO, Barefoot Innovation Group
- Nischal Piratla – Director, Deutsche Bank Innovation Labs
- Valentina Isakina – Managing Director of Financial Institutions, JobsOhio
- Luvleen Sidhu – Co-Founder, President, & Chief Strategy Officer, BankMobile
12:00 to 12:30 Moderated discussion –An in-depth Look at World of Cyber Security and Risk Management
- Sean Sposito – Analyst Cybersecurity, Javelin Strategy & Research
- Cris Thomas – Global Strategy Lead, IBM X-Force Red, White Hat Hacker
- Kedar Samant – Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer, Simility
- Gabrielle Haddad – Co-Founder & Chief Operating Officer, Sigma Ratings, Inc.
- Michael Leary – SVP – Risk Strategy, Bureau, and Third Party Execution Director, US Bank
12:30 to 1:30 Lunch and Networking
1:30 to 3:30 Summit Sessions
- Banking & Payments
- Digital Lending
- Emerging Technologies
- Wealth Management & Investing
3:30 to 4:00 Refreshments and Networking Break
4:00 to 4:50 Breaking Banks Power Hour Chat: It’s Happening! Live Podcast
- JP Nicols – Managing Director, Fintech Forge
- Brett King – CEO and Founder, Moven
- Greg Palmer – VP, Strategy, Finovate
4:50 to 5:30 The Finovate Finale! Accelerator/Incubator/Lab Showcase
- Greg Palmer – VP, Strategy, Finovate
- Jon Zanoff – Managing Director, Techstars – Barclays Accelerator
- Laura Spiekerman – Co-founder & CRO, Alloy
- Perrin Quarshie – Founder & CEO, RealBlocks
- Sunny Parikh – Senior Director, Partnership Fund for NYC, FinTech Innovation Lab
- Liz Maida – Co-Founder & CEO, Uplevel Security
- Benjamin Cohen – CEO & Founder, T-REX
- Matt Armstead – Managing Director, FintechAccel
- Travis Holoway – CEO & Co-Founder, SoLo Funds
- Paris Benson – CEO & Founder, Wizely Finance
- Mahati Sridhar – Investment Associate, Queen City Fintech
- Christian Zimmerman – Co-founder & CEO, Qoins
- Andrew Gowasack – Co-founder, Trust Stamp
Thanks to all of you for helping to make this year’s event a success! We’ll see you at FinovateFall next year, or come see us at any of our shows in between:
- FinovateAsia on October 29 and 30 in Hong Kong
- FinovateAfrica on November 27 and 28 in Cape Town
- FinovateEurope on February 12 through 14 in London
- FinovateSpring on May 8 through 10 in San Francisco
If you’re registered for our exclusive AI and Blockchain Summits tomorrow, the excitement continues at 8:50 tomorrow morning. If you’re interested in attending, please visit the registration desk today to add your name to the list and participate in the discussions.
Meet the Fantastic Five – the top vote-getters in this year’s Best of Show voting at FinovateFall 2018.
There’s a lot to love about the companies that took home top honors at this year’s autumn event. Maybe you are a fan of financial literacy, and believe that the best way to ensure a happy financial future is to invest in financial education at an early age. Perhaps you are looking for ways to better engage the customers at your bank or credit union, providing them with more personalized, intuitive solutions to improve their financial lives.
From the challenge of helping aging parents manage their finances and avoid scams to innovative strategies to turn everyday purchases into investments in the stock market, the Best of Show winners of FinovateFall 2018 are a diverse group. And that diversity reflects the fascinating breadth of what it means to be a fintech company today.
With that, let’s meet our Fantastic Five. Four of them are Finovate newcomers and the fifth, Meniga, is both a long time alum and multiple Best of Show award winner.
Bond.AI for its human-centered AI platform, powered by the world’s first “Empathy Engine,” that helps banks better understand user behavior and encourage them to improve their financial health. Video.
Golden for its Financial Caregiving app and website that socializes wealth and daily money management across generations, helping 75 million baby boomers who are taking financial care of their 50 million senior parents. Video.
Notes on methodology:
1. Only audience members NOT associated with demoing companies were eligible to vote. Finovate employees did not vote.
2. Attendees were encouraged to note their favorites during each day. At the end of the last demo, they chose their three favorites.
3. The exact written instructions given to attendees: “Please rate (the companies) on the basis of demo quality and potential impact of the innovation demoed.”
4. The five companies appearing on the highest percentage of submitted ballots were named “Best of Show.”
5. Go here for a list of previous Best of Show winners through 2014. Best of Show winners from our 2015 through 2018 conferences are below:
From the very first demo on Day One, it was clear that the attendees at this year’s fall fintech conference came ready to rock. And our demoing companies were happy to oblige – with live demos of everything from tools to help financial advisors better serve their clients to cybersecurity solutions dedicated to keeping the bad guys at bay. We hope you had a great time yesterday and are rested and ready (we are in Times Square, after all!) for another round here on Day Two.
Here is what’s in store for Tuesday. If you still need a ticket, visit our registration page and save your spot.
8:00am – 8:45am Registration & Continental Breakfast
Remember registration is on the fifth floor of the Marriott Marquis.
8:45am – 10:15am Demo Session #5
- Tinkoff Bank
- Namaste Credit
- Simpler Trading
- Arcanum Technology
- Round Pegs
10:15am – 11:00 am Intermission with Refreshments & Networking
11:00am – 12:20pm Demo Session #6
12:20pm – 1:20pm Lunch & Networking
1:20pm – 2:40pm Demo Session #7
- Right Capital
- Envestnet | Yodlee
2:40pm – 3:25pm Intermission with Refreshments & Networking
3:25pm – 4:50pm Demo Session #8
- Open Bank Project
- Stealth Security
- James Finance
- Ballooning Nest Eggs
- Charlie India
4:50pm – 6:50pm Reception & Networking with Best of Show Announcement
Questions? Shoot us an email or give us a call and we’ll get right back with the answers you need.
For many of us, there are three things that best symbolize September’s arrival: (1) the beginning of autumn, (2) the start of football season (Go Seahawks!), (3) and the return of FinovateFall.
Our annual fall fintech conference begins today here at the New York Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Registration, which is on the fifth floor of the hotel, begins at 8am this morning and the first demo kicks off at 8:45am. If you are planning to join us and haven’t picked up your ticket yet, don’t worry. Online registration is only a click away.
Here’s the line up for today.
8:00am -8:45am Registration & Continental Breakfast
8:45am – 10:15am Demo Session #1
- Experian Decision Analytics
- Access Softek
- Bucket Technologies
10:15am – 11:00am Intermission with Refreshments & Networking
11:00am – 12:20pm Demo Session #2
- Relay Network
- FI.SPAN Services
- Cloud Lending Solutions
- Ninth Wave
- Tala Security
12:20pm – 1:20pm Lunch
1:20pm – 2:40pm Demo Session #3
- Intellect iGTB
- ING Bank
- Digital Onboarding
- Enova Decisions
2:40pm – 3:25pm Intermission with Refreshments & Networking
3:25pm – 4:50pm Demo Session #4
- ID R&D
- Prisma Campaigns
- Orion Business Innovation
4:50pm – 6:00pm Reception & Networking
Best of Show winners will be announced tomorrow
Doors open again tomorrow at 8:00am, with the first demo session beginning at 8:45am.