The TiViTz College $avings Game-a-thon is a market-disruptive tool that complements existing financial savings vehicles and provides a solution for families to offset potential student-loan debt and to help cover the cost of higher education.
The Game-a-thon—where students solicit pledges online from friends and family for playing TiViTz games—is similar to a Walk-a-thon, only fully automated from pledge solicitation to fund deposit into a savings vehicle. The Game-a-thon can fundamentally change the way families think about affording college and significantly empower children to take responsibility for, and contribute to, their own advanced education, all while improving their math skills and financial literacy.
The Finovate Debuts series introduces new Finovate alums. Today’s feature is SAS Games, which demonstrated its TiViTz College $avings Game-a-thon at FinovateFall 2014.
SAS Games’ TiViTz College $avings Game-a-thon offers a way for kids to save for college tuition by playing fun, math-based games.
The game-a-thon works similar to a walk-a-thon. Kids ages 6 to 18 solicit pledges from friends and family, whose total contribution is based on the child’s performance. To redeem the pledges and add the money to their college savings account, the child is challenged with TiVitz math games online.
Aside from bolstering funds in existing accounts, the games encourage families without a college savings fund to open one.
- $5+ million in funding raised
- 10 employees
- 10,000 teachers use TiVitz
- 400,000 children use TiVitz
- TiVitz game has won awards from:
- Parent’s Choice
- Dr. Toy
- National Parenting
- Creative Child
How it works:
1) Kids set up their TiViTz account online
The registration process requires student and parent information, along with a $10 annual registration fee.
2) Link an existing college savings account or establish a new one
Through SAS Games’ partnership with TrustEgg, parents of children without a savings account can open one in minutes (watch TrustEgg’s debut at FinovateSpring 2013).
3) Request pledges from friends and family
Kids set up their own personalized pledge page and send the link to friends and family. They may also send donation requests via email, text, social media, and printed flyers.
4) Play the game
In the TiVitz game, kids challenge each other or a computer. The difficulty of the game scales for grade levels 1 to 12.
Players customize their avatar and choose among 7 themes, such as Safari or Baseball. Once the game has ended, they tally their score by computing the equations on the board.
5) Collect pledges
When the child finishes the required number of games, TiVitz automatically invoices the friends and family members who pledged. Occasionally, companies and financial institutions match donations to help kids reach their goals faster.
6) Track college savings
The dashboard displays the total amount raised from friends and family, along with matched charity contributions. From the home screen, kids can personalize their pledge page, view the number of pledges requested and received, and more.
The TiVitz online Game-a-thon is held once a year, around the holidays. Kids play 5 to 16 games each, depending on the amount of their pledges. Other activities around the TiVitz game include:
- TiVitz Tournaments
Boeing, Lockheed, NASA, National Hockey League, SeaWorld, and Major League Baseball sponsor tournaments where kids win college scholarships
- TiVitz Tuesdays
SAS Games is partnered with McDonald’s in Florida which hosts kids every Tuesday to practice for TiVitz tournaments
For families and children:
- Encourages them to open a new savings account
- Helps them save more money for college
- Augments math and critical thinking skills
- Provides access to new clients
- Has potential to add new savings accounts for existing customers
- Adds more funds to existing savings accounts
- Enhances Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) efforts in local communities
- Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly takes a look at Allied Payment Network and PicturePay.
- Capital Resorts announces collaboration with Access Development.
- Bank of Georgia buys Georgian arm of Ukranian-based PrivatBank for $51 million USD.
- Live Mint features BankBazaar in a column on financial product aggregators.
- Huffington Post interviews Lisa Pearson, CMO of Bazaarvoice.
- Dwolla releases new apps for Android, iOS, and Windows.
- Finovate Debuts: SAS Games Helps Kids Save for College by Playing Games.
- ThreatMetrix Protected 10 of the Top 20 Online Retailers Against Fraud During Cyber Week.
- Segmint partners with fan and consumer engagement software company, Phizzle, to deliver 1-to-1 engagements.
- Credit Karma transitions to the VantageScore 3.0 Score provided by TransUnion.
- ID.me to authenticate Connect.gov users.
- Muthoot Finance picks FIS for ATM managed services, video surveillance, and network connectivity and switching.
SAS Games debuted TiViTz College $avings Game-a-thon:
“The TiViTz College $avings Game-a-thon is a market disruptive tool that complements existing financial savings vehicles and provides a solution for families to offset potential student loan debt and help cover the cost of higher education. The Game-a-thon (where students solicit pledges online from friends and family for playing TiViTz games) is similar to a Walk-a-thon fundraiser, only fully automated from pledge solicitation to fund deposit into a savings vehicle.The Game-a-thon is positioned to fundamentally change the way families think about affording college and to significantly empower children to take responsibility for and contribute to their own advanced education . . . all while improving their math skills and financial literacy.”
In the final FinovateFall Sneak Peek of our series, we’re showcasing nine companies: eMoney Advisor, Finovera, Luxoft, Minetta Brook, P2Binvestor, SAS Games, SelfScore, Sender, and Top Image Systems.
- Sneak Peek #1: Biz Equity, Gremln, Hoyos, Knox Payments, NopSec, and Rippleshot
- Sneak Peek #2: Backbase, BioCatch, blooom, iBillionaire, Patch of Land, and Settle
- Sneak Peek #3: Algomi, FlexScore, HedgeCo Networks, Linqto, Malauzai, and Virtual Strongbox
- Sneak Peek #4: FamDoo, iQuantifi, mCASH, PayItSimple, Toopher, and WorkFusion
- Sneak Peek #5: Business Centric Services Group (BCSG), Diebold (with Zenmonics), Larky, MaxMyInterest by Six Trees Capital, Sonovation, TickSmith
- Sneak Peek #6: MasterCard, Matchi, Misys, Silanis, Sr. Pago, and WingCash
With eMoney Advisor, if you’re a salesman with a practice selling products, it’s not for you. eMoney is built for advisors running a business based on relationships.
- With EMX, you’ll work smarter, not harder
- Integrations and ease of use are the future
- eMoney’s latest technology will define advisor success
Finovera is transforming Online Bill Pay into holistic personal financial management with eBills and payments at its core designed for banks and credit unions.
- Receive, view and pay all bills – on bank site
- Enables bill pay with credit cards – Banks get paid for offering Bill Pay
- Great user experience – simple, convenient, attractive and mobile
Luxoft’s Horizon is a cutting-edge data visualization framework for financial institutions. It enables executives to quickly identify and resolve problems in multiple domains such as risk and regulation.
- A fast and intuitive access to data
- Ability to collaborate across roles and teams
- Radically shortens the decision-making time
Minetta Brook’s KNEWSAPP allows trading and investment professionals to take advantage of news related market inefficiencies by surfacing tickers, topics, and stories that are currently developing in the news.
- Track news, blog & tweet VELOCITY around your portfolio tickers, in real-time
- Use its linguistics based STORY SCORES to prioritize what you read
- Get to key active topics quickly, with STORY DNA
P2Binvestor (P2Bi) is a crowdlending platform for receivables-backed working capital that is supported by a crowd of accredited investors.
- Integrates with QuickBooks Online (API sync)
- Streamlines the online application and lending process
- Facilitates better account management and underwriting
SAS Games’ TiViTz College $avings Game-a-thon is a fully automated, easy-to-use, market-disrupting, patent-pending, activity-based fundraising tool for children’s college savings.
- Complements existing financial savings vehicles
- Creates new college savings accounts and relationships
- Enhances CRA outreach and provides a marketing tool for consumer and business banking
ns and data distribution.
SelfScore is a disruptive consumer analytics solution that supplements FICO scores and informs a wide array of data-driven decisions.
- SelfScore measures consumers in better ways using more information
- Online profiles, phone data, and questions inform the score
- Providing insights to users and contextual information to businesses
Sender is the first messenger for businesses, enabling direct chat communication with customers. Sender – like Google’s Search Bar with endless possibilities. Sender – the last and only app.
- Creates 2-way communication of business with customers like in usual chat
- Provides possibility for businesses to create business processes without developers and endless softwareApps updates
Top Image Systems’ next-generation mobile image capture and processing solutions, like GlassCapture, are designed to make account opening, bill payment and other mobile-initiated process simple and fun!
- Optimal user experience leads to customer loyalty
- Upfront validation ensures the image is correct
- Perfect image capture enables straight-through processing in the backend