As Finovate goes increasingly global, so does our coverage of financial technology. Finovate Global: Fintech News from Around the World is our weekly look at fintech innovation in developing economies in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Central and Eastern Europe.
Central and South Asia
- Pakistan-based payment system operator and PSP Mobi Direct selects Worldline for its digital infrastructure platform.
- State Bank of India partners with Hitachi Payment Services on joint venture to support digital payments in India. SBI also picked Financial Software and Systems to implement its “One Nation, One Card” digital payments program.
- Inc42 lists 5 Trends in Fintech You Will See in 2019.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Jumio opens office in Brazil and operations center in Barranquilla, Colombia, as part of expansion into Latin America.
- Mexico’s central bank turns to Amazon for public mobile payment system.
- Banco Bolivariano of Ecuador deploys mobile banking technology from Diebold Nixdorf.
- TurnKey Lender locks in new investment from OSK Ventures.
- United Overseas Bank (UOB) of Singapore launches its Smart Business Transformation Programme for SMEs in Thailand.
- Malaysia’s Maybank introduces its e-wallet service for cashless payments.
- Veridium teams up with Blue Turtle Technologies to drive deployment of biometric technology in Africa.
- Nigeria’s United Bank for Africa (UBA) goes live in the U.K.
- People’s Bank of Zanzibar launches new core banking system with technology from ICSFS.
Central and Eastern Europe
- Russia’s Alfa-Bank joins Marco Polo Network to offer blockchain-based trade and supply chain finance services to its clients.
- Kontomatik earns license from Bank of Lithuania to operate as an AISP in 11 EU countries.
- Palestine Islamic Bank to deploy Temenos Infinity and Temenos T24 systems as part of its digital transformation efforts.
Middle East and Northern Africa
- Al Taif Islamic Bank to deploy Sharia-compliant, core banking technology from Finastra, Fusion Islamic.
- Working group supported by TheCityUK and Turkish stock exchange Borsa Istanbul launch joint effort to promote Islamic fintech solutions.
- Scoop Empire looks at the UAE’s role in foster innovation in fintech, especially with AI.