As Finovate goes increasingly global, so does our coverage of financial technology. Finovate Global: Fintech News from Around the World is our weekly look at fintech innovation in developing economies in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Central and Eastern Europe.
- Digicro receives $300,000 in funding to help fuel its entry to the mobile microfinance market in Cambodia.
- Monetary Authority of Singapore considers strengthening oversight of bank outsourcing.
- Fintech News Malaysia looks at the challenges of transitioning toward a cashless society.
- Quadient announces partnership with South Africa’s Beehive Online Solutions.
- TechNext looks at the lessons Nigeria can learn from the success of Kenya’s M-Akiba investment mobile app.
- All Africa reports on the increased use of mobile money in Tanzania.
Central and Eastern Europe
- Sberbank launches its first IT Demo Day in partnership with 500 Startups.
- Romania’s Oney Bank partners with Wirecard to bring additional functionality to its mobile app.
- Sberbank and its subsidiary Sberbank Technology unveil open source-based communications platform for developers, engineers, and architects.
Middle East and Northern Africa
- Oman-based bank Sohar International integrates biometric authentication into its mobile banking app.
- Emirates NBD introduces The LaunchPad to help startups connect with angel and early-stage investors.
- Morocco-based CFG Bank chooses Kony to help drive its digital transformation.
Central and South Asia
- India’s Federal Bank goes live with its open banking platform.
- Finca Impact Finance Tajikistan launches search for a new core banking system.
- Inc.42 features 5 Trends in Fintech You Will See in 2019 in India.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Brazil’s largest bank, Itau Unibanco, leverages AI-powered cameras to suspicious behaviors in branches.
- Scotiabank and The Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudious Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM) unveil new accelerator, Factory A, in Mexico City.
- Argentina’s Banco Columbia implements Visa Loyalty Solutions en route to its digital transformation.