As Finovate goes increasingly global, so does our coverage of financial technology. Finovate Global: Fintech News from Around the World is our weekly look at fintech innovation in developing economies in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Central and Eastern Europe.
Central and Eastern Europe
- Central Banking’s FinTech & RegTech Global Awards names the Bank of Lithuania as the winner of its Catalyst Award.
- Halyk Bank Georgia implements new omnichannel system from Asseco geared toward retail clients.
- Global Finance sits down for a conversation with Tinkoff Bank VP Maxim Evdokimov.
- Sberbank partners with 500 Startups to launch Russian fintech accelerator.
Middle East and Northern Africa
- Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM) introduces funding rules for private financing platforms (PFPs).
- Bank Al-Tamweel Wa Al-Inma (BTI Bank) in Morocco to deploy Path Solutions’ iMAL core banking system.
- IT Web Africa looks at the technological and operational challenges of banking for the underbanked in North Africa.
Central and South Asia
- Indian digital lending startup Kissht closes $30 million Series C.
- Fintech Valley Vizag of India partners with Bizofit to launch $1 million startup challenge.
- India Post Payments Bank to deploy payments technology from Financial Software and Systems.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- PayPal’s Xoom partners with OXXO to add more than 17,000 new cash pickup locations in Mexico.
- Argentina’s digital bank Wilobank picks Spanish technology provider Indra as implementation partner.
- Forbes profiles Brazilian fintech Neon.
- UnionPay introduces cross-border mobile payments service in Hong Kong, Macau.
- Thailand’s Bank of Ayudhya chooses NICE Actimize to transform its AML compliance capabilities.
- Blockchain patent activity picks up in China.
- South African payments startup Yoco picks up $16 million in funding.
- Nigeria’s Paga raises $10 million in round led by Global Investment Fund (GIF).
- Development finance company Financial Sector Deepening Africa estimates fintech’s contribution to Africa’s GDP at $150 billion by 2022.