All you have to do is ask customers a question now and then to show that you are genuinely listening. And with low-cost web-based surveys, the cost to conduct a short survey among your own customers is minimal.
Some sample questions:
- What should we write about in our next newsletter/blog/website?
(provide list of ideas plus write-in area)
- Which offer should we put on our homepage?
(similar to the SmartMoney example below)
- Where should we locate our new ATM? (with list of choices)
- How would you rate your recent experience with our call center?
(sent shortly after a customer talks to a CSR)
- How would you like to retrieve your balance on your cellphone (via text message, via mobile browser, via voice)
In a real-world example today, SmartMoney Magazine sent me an email (see below) requesting that I complete its “cover survey” which would take “no more than a minute.” The Survey Monkey-powered survey was indeed just 3 questions and took only seconds to complete. There was no marketing (see note 1), no cross sales, and I was left with a better impression of the magazine. Besides a satisfied customer, SmartMoney gains valuable editorial feedback.
1. After completing the survey I was dropped on to the SmartMoney homepage increasing its pageviews and unique visitor totals for December.
2. Photo credit (via flickr): Ryan McFarland at www.zieak.com.