Maybe it’s passé to say another year was a “banner year” for investment in fintech. But there is no better way to describe the more than $3 billion in funding raised by Finovate alums in 2015.
We previewed our alum funding for 2015 a few weeks ago with a look at investment in European-based alums. Now we present the numbers for the entire world.
Finovate alums by year
- 2015: $3.1 billion, up 41%
- 2014: $2.2 billion, up 167%
- 2013: $825 million, up 83%
- 2012: $450 million
Highlights from 2015
- Worldwide, 116 Finovate alums raised $3.1 billion
- Credit Karma raised the largest amount of capital, pulling in $175 million in June. Kabbage came in second with $135 million in October.
- April may be poetry’s cruelest month, but for Finovate alums, it was the most lucrative with $400 million raised by 15 companies. January was a close second, with $340 million raised by 14 companies.
- April was also the biggest month for number of deals with 15. January, May, and July were a close second with 14 deals each.
Alum funding by month
- BankersLab closes on undisclosed amount in angel funding round
- CBANC Network garners $4 million in Series B funding
- Gusto, formerly ZenPayroll, closes on $50 million funding
- Onovative raises $1.2 million in new funding
- Rippleshot raises $1.2 million in round led by KGC Capital
- ThetaRay lands $5 million investment from Alibaba; partners with PwC
- Trizic raises $2 million to help advisors compete with algorithms
- Trulioo raises $15 million with help from American Express Ventures
- WorkFusion raises $14 million Series C Round Led by Nokia Growth Partners
- Figo announces new “seven-figure” financing round.
- iSignthis completes $10 million capital raise.
- Lighter Capital closes $9 million Series B funding round, raises $100 million to lend to tech startups
- Nous closes in on 350,000 fundraising goal [Update: Nous exceeds original goal, raises $750,000]
- Roostify garners $500,000 in funding from Wells Fargo Accelerator
- Tuition.io raises $5 million in Series A.
- Blooom announces $4 million Series A round led by QWDS Investors.
- CardFlight scores $4 million in Series A funding.
- Financeit closes undisclosed amount of funding from Goldman Sachs.
- IDology announces “significant,” strategic equity investment in Payfone.
- Kabbage’s fresh $135 million to help grow Karrot Consumer Lending Platform.
- Moven rounds up $12 million in funding for international expansion.
- *Praesidio raises $3.1 million.
- Ripple Labs makes waves: raises $4 million, rebrands & launches Interledger.
- MortgageTech is on the move as Roostify closes Series A round led by USAA.
- Spreedly raises $2.5 million in new funding.
- Stockpile hauls in $15 million in new investment.
- Xpenditure rakes in $5.7 million.
- WorldPay goes public; shares rally on trading debut.
- Alkami Technology earns $11 investment.
- Blooom wins grant from LaunchKC.
- Cloud Lending Solutions raises $8 million in Series A.
- Coinalytics earns $1 million in seed funding from The Hive.
- CoverHound completes $33 million Series C.
- Ellevest pulls in $10 million from Morningstar.
- InForcePro rakes in $4 million following Finovate debut.
- Kreditech raises €82 million in Series C investment led by J.C. Flowers.
- MX lands $4 million from CheckFree founder Pete Kight.
- Trading Ticket picks up $4 million in seed funding from Citi, Valar Ventures.
- Trunomi raises $3 million to solve KYC challenges.
Mergers & Acquisitions: Prosper signals Move into PFM with $30 Million Acquisition of BillGuard.
- AnchorID raises $800,000.
- CashStar raises capital: new investment boosts total to $50 million.
- Digital Retail Apps raises $1 million Canadian in round led by Texas Ventures.
- Artificial intelligence innovator, Kensho boosts total capital to $58 million.
- Mogl earns $8 million investment ahead of FinovateFall debut.
- Payoneer pulls in $50 million.
- Socure secures $2.3 million in debt financing.
- StockViews raises $16,000 in seed investment
- SumUp raises €10 million in round led by BBVA Ventures, Groupon, American Express.
- Tio Networks raises $1.7 million in private placement.
- New investment in Tyfone takes total capital to $12 million.
- VATBox locks up $24 million growth equity investment.
Mergers & Acquisitions: FutureAdvisor acquired by BlackRock.
- Platform-as-a-Service specialist Apprenda raises $24 million.
- BankBazaar scores $60 million in funding led by Amazon.
- Behalf closes $119 million Series B.
- New investment for Dealstruck boosts lending capital to more than $100 million.
- Expensify tallies up $17.5 million in funding to support its new fintech investment fund.
- Fastacash secures $15 million in Series B investment.
- Fenergo raises $75 million from Insight Venture Partners.
- The next fintech unicorn: rumored $150 million heading to Kabbage.
- A dash of good karma: Karmic Labs raises $5 million.
- Malauzai raises $11 million in venture funding.
- Nearex closes Series B funding.
- Radius raises $50 million in round led by Founders Fund.
- Realty Mogul builds $35 million in new funding.
- Revolut launches to public, announces $2.3 million in funding.
- ShopKeep rings up $60 million investment.
- Twilio raises $130 million in Series E round.
- Azimo lands $20 million Series B investment led by Frog Capital.
- Bright Funds closes seed round with $1.8 million investment.
- Cachet Financial Solutions completes $4.4 million private placement.
- CashSentinel closes seed round of undisclosed amount.
- New $175 million investment earns Credit Karma a $3.5 billion valuation.
- Currency Cloud cooks up $18 million in new funding round.
- Prairie Cloudware announces new round of investment.
- Signifyd raises $7 million in Series A investment.
- SumUp unveils new financing.
- Actiance picks up $28 million from new and existing investors.
- Bitcoin-based P2P lending platform Bitbond raises $670,000.
- Credit Sesame raises $16 million in new funding.
- EDO Interactive completes $20 million Series E round; names Badran CEO.
- Feedzai announces more than $17 million in new funding.
- FreeAgent to crowdfund $1.6 million funding round.
- ItBit raises $25 million, earns New York State Trust Charter ahead of Finovate debut.
- Kantox picks up $11 million in Series B, doubling total capital.
- LendKey adds $8 million in venture debt; reaches $800 million in loans
- PayItSimple receives $10 million line of credit.
- Planwise raises $750,000; nearly doubling total capital.
- Ripple Labs reels in $28 million, eyes Asia expansion.
- Trizic raises $3 million in seed funding from Operative Capital.
- Friction is good: Social network for credit innovator Vouch raises $6 million.
- WePay closes $40 million Series D round led by FTV Capital.
Honorable mention: Zenefits raises $500 million (company founded by serial entrepreneur Parker Conrad, founder of alums SigFig and Wikinvest).
- CurrencyFair springs $10.7 million more in funding.
- Dealstruck raises $8 million in funding, $50 million for new credit facility.
- Dream Payments raises $6 million in funding for mPOS technology.
- eToro secures $12 million investment from Commerzbank.
- EZBOB raises $45 million in new funding.
- Interactions raises more than $9 million in new funding.
- MoneyStream launches to public, receives $3.2 million in funding.
- MX raises $30 million in Series A investment.
- Patch of Land earns $23 million investment led by SF Capital Group.
- PayNearMe raises $14.7 million in new financing..
- Prosper pulls in $165 million in funding, boosting valuation to $1.9 billion.
- SigFig brings on new advisory board members and $1 million in funding.
- StockTwits earns $1.2 million investment.
- Britain’s second largest mobile wallet, Yoyo, pulls $10 million in funding.
- ZenPayroll raises $60 million in round led by Google Capital.
- Advanced Merchant Payments pulls in undisclosed amount of funding.
- Alt credit score startup, Aire, raises $1.1 million.
- Ayasdi raises $55 million in Series C funding.
- CoverHound raises $14 million in Series B.
- ID.me raises $3 million in new venture debt funding.
- Lendio raises $20 million in new funding to help finance small businesses.
- Linkable Networks rakes in $11.7 million.
- Q2 Holdings completes $116 million follow-on stock offering.
- Yapstone closes $60 million debt financing deal.
Mergers & Acquisitions: Multi-Factor Authentication Specialist Toopher Acquired by Salesforce; ReadyforZero Acquired by Avant in cash and stock deal; printer-giant Lexmark to acquire Kofax for $1 billion; LearnVest acquired by Northwestern Mutual for more than $250 million.
- AdviceGames raises $570,000 from Ibuildings.
- Betterment raises a fresh $60 million in round led by Francisco Partners.
- Bill.com raises $50 million, doubling total funding.
- Finsphere lands $1.8 million, partners with Visa.
- Micronotes receives $910k in funding.
- Pindrop Security raises $35 million.
- SecureKey raises $19 million in Series C.
- Payments platform Mozido adds $2.5 million to SimplyTapp’s Series B round.
- Xero raises $110 million from Accel Partners, Matrix Capital.
Mergers & Acquisitions: Samsung acquisition of LoopPay puts Apple Pay on notice.
- App Annie reels in $63 million.
- BlueVine grabs $18.5 million to increase small-business lending.
- Bolstr raises $1.7 million in seed funding.
- Coinbase raises $75 million from BBVA, USAA, NYSE, & others.
- Global Debt Registry raises $7 million in Series A round.
- Kofax raises $1.9 million in funding.
- Kreditech secures $200 million line of credit.
- LendingRobot pulls in $3 million to boost your Lending Club and Prosper portfolios.
- Renren leads $40 million funding round for Motif Investing.
- PeerTransfer secures $22 million in a round led by Bain Capital.
- Ripple Labs raises $30 million in Series A round.
- Spreedly raises $150,000 in new funding.
- Taulia’s fresh $15 million will fuel international growth.
- TransferWise raises $58 million in round led by Andreessen Horowitz.
- TrueLink raises $3 million in round led by Cambia Health Solutions.
Mergers & Acquisitions: Akimbo Financial acquired by Payment Data Systems.
*New alum; funds raised prior to Finovate appearance.
Funding that companies received before they first appeared at Finovate was not counted in overall totals.
Questions? Comments? Email us at email@example.com.