Feature Friday: Getting Phygital with Fintech Startup Root Banking

Phygital may not be heading for inclusion in the Oxford Dictionary anytime soon. But it does attract attention to your fintech startup, especially when you are specializing in integrating digital and physical channels. Enter Root Banking, a San Francisco-based startup from industry veteran Matt Krogstad (see note 1). I met Matt when he was at mobile Read more…

Feature Friday: Sweep Accounts for the Mass Market

Does anyone remember when sweep accounts were all the rage? They were disruptive technology in the 1980s. The idea was to automatically sweep idle cash from non-interest bearing accounts to savings or investment accounts with higher yields. It’s still a core feature in treasury management accounts for large businesses, but you don’t hear much about it these Read more…

Feature Friday: Editing Transactions in Online/Mobile Banking

One basic feature missing from most online and mobile banking services is the ability to edit/annotate transactions. Some banks, BMO Harris for example, support transaction and/or category editing in their PFM modules. But it’s very rare to see it within basic digital banking. One exception, is BBVA Compass’s Simple banking unit. Simple allows full editing of Read more…

Feature Friday: Discover’s Interactive Checking Account Comparison

Discover’s responsive page dedicated to selling its Cashback Checking is a thing of beauty from top to bottom (though we have some suggestions on a few of the finer points of the UX). We especially like the interactive comparison to the competition. Discovers starts by comparing its fees to Chase, Citi, and BofA. But the card giant makes it easy to Read more…

Feature Friday: “Combine Usernames” from Capital One

Capital One just updated its Wallet iPhone app to include gift cards. That seemed like a good candidate for this week’s Feature Friday. Cards: @capitalone iOS update enables gift cards in mobile wallet. Interested to see how it pulled that off? pic.twitter.com/TuGE8yXOZk — Jim Bruene (@netbanker) October 2, 2015 But on the way to checking Read more…

Feature Friday: Umpqua Showcases the Closest Branch on its Website

I’m not a fan of bank branches (except Chase’s Northeast Seattle outpost, Hi Ben). In my view, 80% of what goes on there is better done remotely, and the other 20% just doesn’t provide enough ROI. But if you do have good branches, you should at least use your digital presence to showcase them. Probably Read more…

Feature Friday: Capital One Helps Users Identify Recurring Charges After Card Reissue

Card reissues after a data breach, or lost/stolen situation, are annoying for cardholders. But it’s even worse for the issuer who has to pay for a new card, hound the customer to activate it, handle customer-service calls, and then risk losing recurring revenues from now-broken automated pre-authorized charges. So kudos to Capital One for taking Read more…

Feature Friday: Free Financial Consults for BankMobile VIPs

You can’t imagine how many times I’ve gone to Google looking for results to “bank + VIP” and similar searches. The bifurcation of digital banking into a free standard service and a fee-based gold version has been one of my longest-standing, and so far, lousiest predictions (for example, my 2006 rant). So I was pretty Read more…

Feature Friday: Capital One 360 Offers Remote Check Deposit via Simple File Upload (no smartphone required)

I don’t know how I missed this small, but meaningful, improvement to the remote deposit state of the art. Since last April, Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct) has allowed customers to make deposit via the mobile phone app, and (drum roll) via file upload.   Yes, you heard it right. Simply snap a picture Read more…

Feature Friday: Capital One Offers $20 Incentive to Try ShopSavvy Mobile Wallet

I have been fascinated with mobile wallets for a while (note 4). They’ve been “just a few years out” since the first Finovate (Oct 2007), where multiple mobile banking pioneers laid out their product roadmaps. And now we are starting to see real implementations. Not just Square and Starbucks. But financial institutions are moving forward.  Read more…

Feature Friday: Fifth Third Combines Debit & Credit on DUO Card

Transactional banking is fairly straightforward. There are electronic payments, ATM withdrawals, debit card payments, credit card charges, and checks. When a technology comes along that offers to combine three of those in a familiar form factor (plastic card), you would think it would catch quickly.  But combined credit/debit cards have not gained much of a Read more…